Re: [aspell] Misc comments/suggestions on Aspell

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] Misc comments/suggestions on Aspell
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:23:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen wrote:

> Hi Kevin et al,
>
> It appears to me that the default dictionary choice of aspell is
> English, no matter what the environment variable LANG is set
> to.
>
> I would find it extremely nice if the default dictionary used by
> aspell depended of the LANG environment variable

In order to do that I would need a mapping from the setting in the LANG to
a dictionary.  I have 0 experience with this sort of thing.  Exactly what
format can the LANG variable appear in.

> Also, I would like to see aspell localised...so people will get danish
> messages when running on a Danish enables system.

I will consider adding it but once again I would not know what to
do.  Also please be aware that I still consider Aspell in an alpha state
and offer no guarantee to the stability of the the message strings.

> Also, I have seen that aspell supports spellchecking of sgml, tex, and
> various other file formats. If it could support spell checking of
> po (portable objects - i18n files used by gettext) that would be very
> appreciated by the translators around the world.

I do not plan on adding any other sort of filters until I finish the
rewrite of the filter interface.  Once that is done it will become very
easy to add any sort of filters that you want.  This will include an
option to use an external program as a filter.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/