Re: [Aspell-user] Installiing Aspell 0.50.3 on Mac OSX

From: Christoph Hintermüller
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Installiing Aspell 0.50.3 on Mac OSX
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:47:49 +0200

Hi
Am Montag, 13. Oktober 2003 23:12 schrieb David Garrard:

> Within a terminal window I have browsed to within the Aspell folder and
> I have typed the following into the terminal:
Hm did you only browse by ls or really set path by cd ? Just for making
clear what you mean by browsing not more.

> Aspell:  sudo ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
> I am prompted to enter a password.  I then get the following reply:
>
> 'sudo: ./configure: command not found'

why would you like to do sudo for configuration.
Anyway try to call sudo with -c option in order to execute configure

sudo -c "$PWD/configure --enable-static --disable-shared"

further you only need to specify either --enable-static or --disable-shared
as these both switches imply each other implicitly.
Means you only can build either static or dynamic linkage during one
installation process.
Means per default aspell is built with dynamic linkage if possible on your
system and you have to force static linkage by ---enable-static switch.
In case your system only allows static linkage aspell is built satic.

By the way why would you like to build aspell statically except for copying
program to system with no dynamic libraries installed?

> If I don't sudo I get 'permission denied.'
Hm are you shure you have set the path to the entire aspell folder
containing aspells configure?
typing pwd or echo $PWD or any command telling you which directory you are
located in (probaly  dir).

> I have also Repaired Disk Permissions with the Disk Utility.  Mac OS
> Any ideas,  much thanks in advance.
Hm to me looks as you haven't changed the path to aspell directory but
called some hidden configure from MacOS which is only callable by root.

cu
Christoph
ps.: i'm just guessing as i do not know MacOS

--
Dipl.-Ing. Christoph Hintermüller
University for Health Informatics and Technology Tyrol