[Aspell-user] Installation problems

From: Rob and Lucy Lamb
Subject: [Aspell-user] Installation problems
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:29:06 +0100 (BST)

I'm trying to install aspell 0.50 as part of an
upgrade to gaim 0.77 (there is a dependency chain in
the gaim rpm which ends at libaspell.so.15).

So I downloaded it, did "./configure && make" and then
"make install" but the new versions of the libraries
are not picked up.

I checked /usr/lib and the libaspell.so in there is
linked to the old version.  I found the new libraries
in install_dir/lib/.lib

Do I have to manually reset all these links to the new
versions?  Should "make install" have done this?  What
have I missed?

This is Redhat 8.0 - I'm by no means a linux expert
but I get by.  I'm stuck here though.

Thanks in advance

Rob