[Aspell-user] Newbie help on installing

From: brandon
Subject: [Aspell-user] Newbie help on installing
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:22:19 -0500

Ok, I have a very basic knowledge of Unix, it's commands and how and why it functions.

I am attempting to install aspell on a remote redhat server. I do have root access to this server via ssh.

Simply put, I don't understand the install instructions. it's not that the instructions are unclear, I don't understand them enough to even be able to tell if they are unclear or not. So, if someone could explain and/or point to a primer I would be grateful

1. When it says "./configure && make"

What does that mean exactly. I understand that I'm compiling from source, and I do have the gcc compiler already on this server but am I supposed to download the aspell tar.gz into a specific directory before compiling?

2. After compiling do i have tell the program where to install?

3. When do I add a dictionary, before or after install? The instructions say I have to "make a path", but what does that mean?

Yeah, I came from the GUI world, so be nice :)