[Aspell-user] looking for command line syntax to check correct spelling

From: Patrick Krug
Subject: [Aspell-user] looking for command line syntax to check correct spelling of word or words
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 06:41:59 -0500

I was told that I could use aspell to get a list of words similiar or the correct spelling, ie "did you mean?"

I would like to pass in a word or words that a user has entered.  Pass in a file of words that it should use to find words that are possibly the correct spelling of the word entered.

I would like to output the information to a file or stdout and then parse the words.

I was told that the aspell program would do this but I can not find the syntax or commands to create a personal word list to limit the words returned so that I can display "did you mean?".

Thanks in advance.

The current syntax I have tried is as follows:

c:>aspell --lang=en_US create personal personal_test <mywordlist
c:>aspell --lang=en_US --encoding=utf-8  -p=personal_test -a <c:\pepe.txt

(i have tested the second command without personal (-p) and it has worked fine.  I can not test with a personal list since I have not been able to create it)

I am using version 0.50.3 alpha on windows.

when I try the syntax to create my personal  word list the program exits with "abnormal program termination"

I have read various articles about the personal word list and I am not sure what syntax it should be in.  I have tried just creating it with a header and starting the words with '*' and ending the file with # and three empty lines.

Thanks in advance.