[Aspell-user] Problem creating my own wordlist in Aspell

From: Tom Mac
Subject: [Aspell-user] Problem creating my own wordlist in Aspell
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:09:09 -0800

    I am new to Aspell and having a really tough time getting creating either my own master or personal wordlist to the default en dictionary so that it will pick up industry standard words.  I found your response on the mailing archive at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/aspell-user/2001-04/msg00008.html of aspell and wanted to ask for your assistance as I just couldn't find the right answer on the bulletin board.  Below are some steps I took using Aspell binary version for Windows.

Steps:

          1. Create a wordlist file and named it mylist.txt.  mylist.txt is a space separated file with three words.  I want to know if I need to append an "#" to the end of the file.

          2. execute the command >aspell create --lang=en master ./mylist < ..\data\mylist.txt
              I have placed mylist.txt under the aspell_home/data folder.

          3. Then according to the directions of the manual I'm suppose to copy the file to the normal word list directory (use aspell config to find out this).  According to the aspell config command, I place the newly created mylist binary file into the aspell_home/dict as the following are my local config settings from the config command:

# dict-dir descrip: location of the main word list
# dict-dir default: <prefix:dict>
# dict-dir current: C:/Aspell/dict

    Ok that's where I'm stuck at.  You're directions said to use:

--add-extra-dicts=<dict name>

    So I tried aspell --add-extra-dicts=mylist, but the dictionary still does not bring up my words.  Please show me step by step how to create and remove my own wordlist for both master and personal list.

    It will be greatly  appreciately if these steps are incorporated into future manuals of Aspell.

    Thanks.

Tom