RE: [Aspell-user] Aspell quality measurement (was: Arabic)

From: Binkley, Peter
Subject: RE: [Aspell-user] Aspell quality measurement (was: Arabic)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:54:15 -0600

> Common typos and scannos are not very useful stats since that is not
what soundslike
> are used for.  If those are the only mistakes soundslike are not
needed at all.
> What I need are true spelling errors where the user really doesn't
know how to spell
> the word.

In an OCR context, though, it would be handy to have a "lookslike"
instead of a "soundslike". I asked about this a couple of years ago
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/aspell-user/2002-07/msg00002.html),
but I don't have the C smarts to try the solutions that Kevin suggested
then (modifying the weights in TypoEditDistanceWeightsin
util/typo_editdist.hh). It sounds like Lars has the data to attempt this
kind of tuning; if anyone tackles this, I hope they'll announce it here!

Peter

Peter Binkley
Digital Initiatives Technology Librarian
Information Technology Services
4-30 Cameron Library
University of Alberta Libraries
Edmonton, Alberta