Re: [Aspell-user] Using openOffice dictionary

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Using openOffice dictionary
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:16:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Alexandre Rodrigues wrote:

Is it possible to use openOffice´s dictonary with aspell 0.60?

Not directly. However, with a little work Aspell can use OO dictionaries that are designed for use with MySpell engine. If they are designed for the newer Hunspell engine than they are not compatible.

Since the portuguese dictionary for aspell is very poor and openOffice´s has
1.100.000 words that i would like to use.

If the Aspell and OO dictionary come from the same source and Aspell's dictionary needs updating let me know and I will be happy to to so. If, however, they come from different sources, and the OO one is better I will consider switching if you can convince me of the fact. However, I will likely try to contact the author both versions so I can give them a chance to comment.

The protuguese dictionary for openOffice comes with 2 files (pt_BR.dic and
pt_BR.aff)
i have created the following files:

1 - *pt_BR.dat*

name pt_BR
charset iso-8859-1
affix pt_BR
affix-compress true

2 - *pt_BR.multi*

add pt_BR.dic

3 - renamed *pt_BR.aff* to *pt_BR_affix.dat*

when i tried to use aspell i got the following error

*Error: The file "c:/Progra~1/Aspell/lib/aspell-0.60/pt_BR.dic" is not in
the proper format.*

Correct, Aspell dictionaries need to be compiled.

then i tried to convert this file to the aspell format using

*C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin>aspell --lang=pt_BR --dont-validate-words
create master ./pt_BR < pt_BR.dic > pt_BR.rws*

and i got the error below:

*Error: c:/Progra~1/Aspell/lib/aspell-0.60//pt_BR_affix.dat:2430: The
condition "denegrir" does not guarantee that "1r" can always be stripped.*

Either, the affix file is designed for Hunspell and not Myspell OR there is an error in the Affix file that OO didn't catch. Aspell performs more error checking than OO does. The option "--dont-validate-affixes" may help in the latter case, (I forgot exactly what that option does).