[Aspell-user] canoeing: variant of what?

From: Aaron Kaplan
Subject: [Aspell-user] canoeing: variant of what?
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:32:46 +0200

In aspell6-en-6.0-0, the word "canoeing" is not in the main word list,
but is listed in en-variant_2.  I can't imagine what other word it
would be considered a variant of. Is this a bug, or are the "variant"
dictionaries actually used for other things besides variants?

In aspell-en-0.50-8, "canoing" was listed as a correct spelling and
"canoeing" was not.  This was wrong, according to the four
dictionaries I checked.  "Canoing" is no longer present in 6.0.0, which
is a step in the right direction, but I don't understand why "canoeing"
wasn't added to the main dictionary.

Thanks
-Aaron