[Aspell-user] Re: Dictionary maintainers and team

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [Aspell-user] Re: Dictionary maintainers and team
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 02:04:01 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Christoph Hintermüller wrote:

Hi Kevin, Hi to all who maintain a dictionary

After reading a comparison of different spell checkers in the german issue of
the linux magazin i was dissapointed about their imho non objective
conclusion. They accused the aspell developers to be incapable of reaching
their own goals. The the test it self clearly showed that the low rating of
aspell is linked to the small wordlist compared to hunspell and the duden
spellchecker it was compared with.

I decided to write a letter to the editor about the rather unfair conclusion.
At the same time i'd like to ask for help in finding volunteers who want to
support the wordlist maintainers in extending the wordlists and keeping them
up to date.

For this i need to know in advance who are the maintainers of the different
wordlists, are there officialy supported wordlists nobody is taking care of
etc ...

[Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I have been very busy with other things]

Unfortunately I do am not keeping track of this information in a formal manual. I have been trying to collect this information, in particular, I would, for each dictionary, would like to have:
  1) The official upstream maintainer
  2) Someone responsible for keeping the Aspell version in sync with
     the upstream version
For various reasons this is not always the same person. I have an internal database with some of this information but it is not complete.

However, for many dictionaries I have a general feel for how well it is maintained and if the Aspell version is kept in sync with the official upstream version. So if you are interested in a particular dictionary let me know and I can tell you what I know about it.

I can also send you a tarball of the "info" and README files from all the latest official dictionaries which will give you information of the authors of the official dictionaries and the last time they where updated.

A while ago I did a survey which of the available dictionaries out there for Aspell, Ispell, Myspell, Hunspell and how there compare. It is a bit out of date but I can send you that if you think it will be helpful.

In additional I would like to have a few people, with adequate time on there hands, to help to help with the general maintenance of Aspell dictionaries as I posted last November:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/aspell-announce/2006-11/msg00000.html