Re: [Aspell-user] Bound to Port 80?

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Bound to Port 80?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 12:28:01 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Daniel Watts wrote:

Ok don't shoot me down but I'm actually running ispell...

That this isn't really the place to post.

I found that it somehow bound to port 80 such that my apache server
would not start:

tg6 apache2 # /etc/init.d/apache2 start
* Starting apache2 ...
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs

When i ran lsof i saw:

tg6 apache2 # lsof -i :80
COMMAND  PID   USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
ispell  3581 apache    4u  IPv4 1146680251       TCP *:http (LISTEN)

Killing that process allowed me to start apache.

Why on earth would ispell (or aspell) bind to port 80?

Aspell does not have any network code. I assume the same is true for ispell. The only thing I can think of is that perhapses it is not really "ispell" the spell checker. Next time this happens perhapses you should look figure out the exact binary that is being called.