[Aspell-user] from a new user

From: David Epstein
Subject: [Aspell-user] from a new user
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:19:07 +0000

The manual for aspell is huge and daunting. Is there a smaller document for beginners? Apologies if the questions below are answered in the archives of this mailing list. I tried to search, but found too many irrelevant hits. Suggestions as to how you would have searched for the answers to the questions below would be welcome.

Q1. Is it possible to have a file of incorrectly spelled words, that overrides the dictionary being used by aspell? For example, when using British English, I might want to outlaw "analyze". Alternatively, I might want to outlaw "analyse". How should I do this?

Q2. While checking the spelling in a file, one is given an "Add" option. Is it possible to control which file is used to record these add-ons?

Q3. Sometimes I'm correcting files in British English, and sometimes in US English. How do I bring my personal word-lists to bear?

Q4. Which personal word lists are affected when I use aspell? Where are they? Am I allowed to use several of them simultaneously in the same call to aspell?

Thanks very much if you can help me out.

David