Re: [Aspell-user] Trying to get aspell to do it my way

From: David Epstein
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Trying to get aspell to do it my way
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:52:33 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, David Epstein wrote:
>> I'm not sure what effect en_US-w_accents has. I would appreciate
>> enlightenment.
>
> It contains the correctly accented version of the words.  By default they
> are not included since it is generally considered acceptable to leave them
> off (especially in things like email).

Does w_accents deal with adding apostrophe s?
Since I am usually checking LaTeX, where accents are determined by control
sequences, it seems as though I should not use the w_accents version of the
aspell dictionary. Is there a mechanism (not too complicated) to get aspell
to treat na\"ive and caf\'e as correct?

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> Did you try checking cafe (with and without the accent, I can never
> remember
> how to type accents on my keyboard)

I have now tried this. Here is the result of a hexdump of the file:
c   a   f   e  \n   c   a   f 303 251  \n
aspell --master en_US-w_accents
objected to both spellings. It did not offer to replace either by café. I
suppose my encoding of é is different from that in aspell, but I wonder why
I was only offered a change to "caf?"

Another question:
How does aspell use my .prepl replacement list? It seems to just do blindly
the replacements it finds there, without asking me, but maybe I'm imagining
things. It would surely be wrong not to ask, since the replacement may be
correct in one context but not in another.

I found the option "ignore-repl", but this is said to "ignore commands to
store". I can't find an option that says "ignore commands to read".

Thanks
David