Re: [Aspell-user] Using aspell programmatically

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Using aspell programmatically
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 16:20:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 6 May 2010, John P. Hartmann wrote:

On 6 May 2010 00:26, Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:
Basically, if you really want it in there, there are ways to get around
this.

I do; how, please?

You can get Aspell to accept any words when creating a dictionary using the "--dont-validate-words" command line option. However, you won't be able to use them unless you use the C ABI. Basically if you add "foo-bar" and then have "foo-bar" in a document Aspell will still check for "foo" and "bar" and never "foo-bar", but if you use the aspell_speller_check or aspell_speller_suggest things will work as expected.

I fail to see where Aspell is getting /home/john/aspell/private.  If it is a
config variable remove it for now and use
 aspell list -d ./private
If that doesn't work you might need to rename the dict. to private.rws

With this config:

dict-dir /home/john/aspell/dicts
data-dir /home/john/aspell/data/aspell5-en-6.0-0
lang en_GB
home-dir /home/john/aspell
personal private.rws

I get:

j /home/john/aspell: mv private private.rws
j /home/john/aspell: aspell list -d ./private.rws
<hangs, does not loop>

Commenting out personal in the config file:

j /home/john/aspell: aspell list -d ./private.rws
Error: The file "/home/john/aspell/private.rws" is not in the proper format.

Regenerating the directory using ./private.rws makes no difference in behaviour.

I then regenerated the directory without the hyphenated word and now
it hangs when I comment out personal in the config file and issues the
message when the line is active.

You did not create a personal word list. You created a read-only word list, thus it should not be used as a personal one. "-d ./private.rws" might not work because Aspell expected a ".multi" file. Look at the installed dictionaries for the format. Also see

http://aspell.net/man-html/Using-Multi-Dictionaries.html#Using-Multi-Dictionaries

About pushing/popping private word lists:

You lost me.

const struct AspellWordList * aspell_speller_personal_word_list(struct
AspellSpeller * ths);

Gets me the word list, which has a string enumeration member.  I
suppose that is what needs to be cloned/restored.  Except there is no
C API functions that look like doing the job.  Any suggestions?