[Aspell-user] Confituring spell chick in multi language documents

From: Mahesh T. Pai
Subject: [Aspell-user] Confituring spell chick in multi language documents
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:09:45 +0530

How to configure aspell to check  multiple languages in same document?

I tried using en & ml, and failed.

I am aware of the multi dictionaries, but a query in another mailing
list tried me to make this.

The operating system is Debian, testing, default configuration, aspell
version 0.60.6 from experimental.

This what I tried.

Strategy 1.

1. created an entry in $HOME/.aspell.conf:- single line with

   master custom.multi

2. Created "custom.multi in /usr/lib/aspell/ with the following two lines:-

add en.multi
add ml.multi

This failed. So, switched to strategy 2.

Strategy 2:-

In $HOME/.aspell.conf,

extra-dicts ml.multi
extra-dicts en.multi

Tried either one, or both.

But things fail - if the entry points to only one of en.multi or
ml.multi, things go fine, but words in only one language are checked
at one point of time.

I tried this both from the command line (aspell --check foo.txt) and
from within gedit. (where I had tried creating en_IN.multi instead of
custom.multi - here I get "English (India) as an option, but Malayalam
words are not checked and there is some error about either not being
able to select default language or find the Malayalam dictionary).

What am I doing wrong?

Probably, I can edit one of the *.multi files already in
/usr/lib/aspell, but that is really not a solution - since from a
sysadmin PoV, I want either a user specific configuration in the
user's home directory, or a system wide cofniguration which does not
involve modification of distro installed files.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
It's not the software that's free; it's you.