Re: [Aspell-user] What letters belongs to a word? (issu e with Turkish"ı

From: Daniel
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] What letters belongs to a word? (issu e with Turkish"ı")
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:58:31 +0000 (UTC)

Kevin Atkinson <kevina <at> gnu.org> writes:
> More or less.  Please see
> http://aspell.net/man-html/Notes-on-8_002dbit-Characters.html.  That being
> said the problem you are facing is not just because the dictionary is
> 8-bit, but also because I convert the document to the 8-bit encoding
> before I tokenize it.  The latter is something I plan to eventually fix.
> If you really want to be able to recognize Turkish words when using the
> English dictionary than you can try the attached special character set.
> Unzip the contents in `aspell config data-dir` then change  "charset
> iso8859-1" to "charset iso8859-1-u" in en.dat.

Yes, since I have the knowledge to correctly spell non-English place names
etc, then I really want to do that. Thanks Kevin, that text explained quite
well why Aspell functions the way it does, and it now comes through as less
silly... The alternative charset worked fine!

> However, even if Aspell did recognize the word correctly it would be
> unlikely to do what you want when using the English dictionary because
> special rules are needed to handle the Turkish ı when changing case.

Certainly. But now I can at least easily add whole words to the private
dictionary, even if I have to add them once per case.