[Aspell-user] How to create and use an additional word list ?

From: Timothy Madden
Subject: [Aspell-user] How to create and use an additional word list ?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:36 +0300

Hello

I would like to spell check my document from the command line. My .tex document contains a macro (namely \write18 {cmd...}) that can run a shell command when the document is being processed by LaTeX, and I would like to invoke aspell in this way to ensure my document checks successfully every time I compile it.

The problem is I have certain words that are correct and I would like aspell to recognize (or ignore) them. These are either technical words like runtime or acronims like XASL or people or product names.

So I would like to create an aditional word list with these specific words, without installing it as a new dictionary in one of the known aspell dictionaries or word list directories.

The
        aspell --lang=en create master ./documentlist.multi <./list_file

command works pretty well and I can see the words in the list if I open the ./documentlist.multi file with an editor (I use vim) directly.

The problem is how do use this file ?
If I try the simple command
        aspell dump personal ./documentlist.multi
I get
Unhandled Error: The file "./documentlist.multi" is not in the proper format.
Aborted (core dumped).

Any other way to use the generated file either crashes in the same way, either does not make use of the file

For example the command
aspell --add-word-list-path=./ --add-extra-dicts=documentlist dump dicts
does not show the new word list.

The command
        aspell --lang=en --personal=./documentlist.multi docfile.tex
Just outputs "The file ./documentlist.multi is not in the proper format".

If I try
aspell --add-word-list-path=./ --personal=documentlist check docfile.tex
than aspell starts up but does not use the words in my word list and asks me to correct them when encountered in the document

Is this a bug ?
Is there a way to use aspell with an additional local dictionary ?

Also, what is the proper way to check a document non-interactively from the command line ?

$ aspell --version
@<#> International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.5)

Thank you,
Timothy Madden