Re: [Aspell-user] Special characters in a custom dictionary will break t

From: Stanislas Rolland
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Special characters in a custom dictionary will break the spell check.
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 01:51:17 -0400

Hi,

I am encountering this same problem: trying to add a word that contains a special character into a personal dictionary gives an error like:

@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.3)
Error: The word "erf?rt" is invalid. The character '?' (U+3F) may not appear in
the middle of a word.

The word is utf-8-encoded into a file that is piped to the Aspell command. The command includes the --encoding='utf-8' option. The personal dictionary file also specifies utf-8 as encoding, and if I add the word manually to this dictionary, it is correctly taken into account when spell checking is done.

Apparently, Aspell ignores the option specifying the encoding of the input, and assumes that it is encoded in the same character set as the main dictionary.

I can't find any Aspell command that would allow to retrieve the character set of the main dictionary, and perhaps convert the input into that character set before submitting it to Aspell.

Any help in the resolution of this issue would be much appreciated.

--
Stanislas Rolland
TYPO3 Core Team Member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!