Re: [Aspell-user] Help adding word to dictionary?

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Help adding word to dictionary?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 01:10:44 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Ciarán Ó Duibhín wrote:

True at present, unfortunately. But in principle, an option could be programmed, to make aspell accept "drop-down" when the dictionary contains "drop" and "down". The only manual additions to the dictionary would then be words like "hotch-potch", because "hotch" and "potch" are not in the dictionary.

I think such an option would be generally useful, at least for English, and incidentally would make aspell behave more like the MS-Word spell-checker.

I made such a modification a few years ago, and it worked to my own satisfaction, but the code changes would require to be examined by someone fully conversant with the workings of aspell before it could be considered safe.

Hi,

Aspell is now on GitHub if you care to submit a pull request. https://github.com/gnuaspell/aspell.

The other problem is the current dictionary does not have support for hyphenated words. The words are in the source lists, but they get filtered.

Kevin