Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:10:29 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-05) writes:

>>> I can't see how providing an easily accessible option for turning it
>>> off if desired could be bad.
>>
>> It will unnecessarily clutter the menu because it is an option used
>> once in a lifetime.
>
> All user preferences are that.

Not necessarily.  A good example are toggles for debugging in Emacs'
options menu.  You can have that turned off for normal operation and
only occasionally and temporarily turn it on when you encounter an
error.

>> This is a personal opinion, but I've never used the "Save Options"
>> menu entry because I didn't really know what it does.
>
> <menu-bar> <options> <save> runs the command menu-bar-options-save
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `menu-bar'.
> It is bound to <menu-bar> <options> <save>.
> (menu-bar-options-save)
>
> Save current values of Options menu items using Custom.
>
>> For example, will it clutter my init file with an entry for every
>> option in the menu?  It probably won't, but who knows.

Now read both the doc string and my concern.  Notice what I am talking
about?

>  The options
>> menu as a whole just feels awkward.  Every other application has a
>> single menu entry for firing up a customization dialog.  The
>> "Options" menu looks like a poor-man's version of this.
>
> Well, you could have provided input when the Options menu discussion
> was on emacs-devel...

Oh come on.  This menu has been in Emacs for so long now.  And now
that people are in course of preparing a release I should step into
such a discussion and tell them that the whole thing should be
considered to be replaced by something else?  I'd say this would be
rather counterproductive.

--
Ralf