[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:10:44 +0200

* Reiner Steib (2005-04-09) writes:

> On Sat, Apr 09 2005, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> I could imagine that we will rather get complaints that users who
>> dislike the 'height fontification now have to change eight faces
>> instead of four,
>
> They wouldn't have to.  We should rather consider
> `font-latex-title-N-face' (N < MAX) as internal faces not intended to
> be customized by the user.  Customizing `font-latex-title-fontify'
> and/or `font-latex-title-MAX-face' should be sufficient for the vast
> majority.

Yes, probably.  Are you sure this will work with XEmacs?  It does not
support :inherit in face definitions.  But maybe we could code around
that by means of `set-face-parent'.

> ,----[ M-x customize-face RET font-latex-title-3-face RET ]
> | font-latex-title-3-face:(sample) Hide Face
> |    State: STANDARD.
> | Face for LaTeX titles at level 3. Hide Rest
> |
> | Probably you don't want to customize this face directly.  Better
> | change the face `font-latex-title-7-face' or customize the
> | variable `font-latex-title-fontify'.
> `----
>
> I think we should add the references to `font-latex-title-MAX-face'
> and `font-latex-title-fontify' no matter if we keep four faces or not.

Yep, but only after this is working with XEmacs.

> The mapping of eight LaTeX sectioning level to four fonts (based on
> `Info-title-N-face') is quite arbitrary:
>
> 1 - \part \chapter
> 2 - \section
> 3 - \subsection
> 4 - \subsubsection \paragraph \subparagraph \subsubparagraph
>
> Why *should* \part and \chapter or all the title-4 sections be
> displayed with the same face in the first place?  Given your previous
> concerns about \section and \subsection being indistinguishable, I
> don't quite understand that you don't want to have more than four
> faces.

For me the distinction on these low levels is not as important as the
one between the higer levels.  When scrolling through the buffer I
mainly want to be able to distinguish chapters and sections easily.
While I did not implement this four-level scheme, I like it somewhat
because of that.  And I am a bit concerned about adding even more
complexity to the code.  In the case at hand it would not be such a
big deal because the faces are generated anyway; it is just that
feeling of "Do we really need this many faces?".

>> What we could try as well is to scale linearly (considering the dpi
>> value of the display device if possible)
>
> Isn't "not considering the dpi value" a bug in Emacs rather than
> AUCTeX?

Uh, yes.  I was babbling.

>>> BTW, calling `font-lock-fontify-buffer' (and
>>> `font-latex-make-title-faces') is not sufficient to change the
>>> scaling.
>>
>> You mean with your patch applied, right?
>
> Yes, with both of my patches.  Evaluating defface doesn't change
> already defined faces.  (The current code doesn't give any hint that
> changing this variable doesn't take immediate effect.)

Could we work with `set-face-attribute' or something like this?

--
Ralf