Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Some Font-Lock in output buffer?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Some Font-Lock in output buffer?
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:25:35 +0200

* Christian Schlauer (2005-09-14) writes:

> this is just an idea: sometimes one has to look in the output buffer
> (with `C-c C-l'). It would be nice, IMO, if words like
> warning/error/overfull/underfull boxes were highlighted in that buffer
> so that one can easily spot them. No aggressive colour, just bold
> maybe. Like the highlighting of `\\(', `\\)' and `\\|' in regular
> expressions in emacs-lisp mode (in Emacs 22, very nice!), maybe?
>
> I think the words mentioned above would be already sufficient. What do
> you think?

Some time ago I experimented with Compilation mode (in connection with
the output buffer) where you can set `compilation-error-regexp-alist'.
With that one would not only get highlighting like with `grep-find'
but also the possibility to jump to the respective position in the
source code.

Unfortunately I seem to have deleted the experiments I did.  I don't
recall exactly what the problems were, but possibly something related
to multifile documents or a clash with the system we currently have.

Another related idea would be to gather the errors (and warnings) and
display them in a new buffer each on a line of its own like it is done
in some IDEs.  Like this one would have all the errors displayed at
once in contrast to having to step through them one by one like it has
to be done now.  We just have to think of a smart way to display the
supplementary descriptive help messages we are currently offering in
the `TeX-next-error' buffers.

--
Ralf