Re: [AUCTeX-devel] forward search in pdf files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] forward search in pdf files
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:07:45 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello
>
> I just learnt how to do inverse search in pdf files using the vpe
> script and vpe style written by Heiko Oberdiek. I have seen that
> implementing forward search in pdf files is in the todo list of
> auctex.
>
> A simple question: xdvi has an option to specify the sourceposition.

As a source line number.  Finding that requires source specials.

> So a relative simple lisp pkg called xdvi-search.el implements that
> functionality.
>
> In the manual of xpdf I did not find the option of specifying the
> sourceposition, I did not find a decent manual of the acrobat reader,
> moreover google search did not help neither.
>
> Does anybody know about that subject?

Something like srcltx.sty (a manual implementation of source specials)
would be needed, and it would need to set anchors for every source
line (every time an anchor for a particular line is placed, also
anchors for all preceding lines up to the last anchor get placed).

Alternatively, just jumping to the page by trying to use some label
mechanisms is conceivable (and/or some additional output routine code
that registers the source/page correlation, even though it would tend
to be off a bit).