Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes to RELEASE

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes to RELEASE
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 11:17:08 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 06 2006, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> I have detailed the downloadable stuff in the release notes (a bit
>> long, but I find it hard to make it shorter without losing info).
>
> | Support for forward search with PDF files was added.  [...]
> | Currently this only works if you use the pdfsync LaTeX package and
> | xpdf as your PDF viewer.
>
> Should we mention where to get pdfsync somewhere?  It's not on CTAN,
> AFAICS.

Well, Google exists.  The download locations we actually mention are
those which are harder to find.  And I think the idea is to help
people use pdfsync if they want to, not get them to use it in the
first place: AUCTeX supports a lot of packages for which we don't
specify download locations.

> And we could mention this new feature also in (info
> "(auctex)Viewing").  I didn't use this feature yet.  Maybe someone
> else could add few lines there?

Would be nice, yes.

> | RPMs with minor version 1 are built from the spec file in the tarball
> | which should work on both SuSE as well as Fedora (though we have not
> | tested the latter).
>
> We didn't bump "Release:" in auctex.spec to 1 yet.  Should I do this
> before the release?

Definitely.  This is part of rolling the release.  That's what I was
musing about with regard to automating it based on CVS variables.  It
would make things fit better if you could only get numbered release
versions by checking out with a release tag (since this is the only
way to guarantee that all other files are also of the appropriate
version corresponding to the release).