[AUCTeX-devel] Re: byte-compile-warnings in lpath.el

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: byte-compile-warnings in lpath.el
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:45:31 +0200

On Mon, Jun 12 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * Reiner Steib (2006-06-11) writes:
>> (defvar let-bound-variable) would help in this case, or am I missing
>> something?
>
> Well, yes, but do you want to defvar the following variables?
>
> latex.el:427:11:Warning: assignment to free variable `level'
> latex.el:462:16:Warning: reference to free variable `toc'
[...]

The only purpose of declarations like (defvar level) and (defvar toc)
is to calm down the byte-compiler.  No variables `level' and `toc' are
actually defined.

,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/42998 ]

`----

,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/43027 ]
| From: Richard M. Stallman
| Subject: Re: defvars at compile time
|
| The only effect of a defvar with no initial value
| is to silence the compiler.  So it is superfluous
| to put it inside eval-when-compile.
`----

(It also has been discussed in this thread:
<http://thread.gmane.org/v9fykq8oiv.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,