[AUCTeX-devel] Re: rfe: dtk.cls support

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: rfe: dtk.cls support
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:38:19 +0200

* Stephan Hennig (2006-09-30) writes:

> Ralf Angeli schrieb:
>> * Stephan Hennig (2006-09-30) writes:
>>
>>> d:/localtexmf
>>>
>>> is not covered by TeX-macro-global automatically.  Is this to prevent
>>> AUCTeX from getting trouble with directories with no access permissions?
>>
>> Is d:/localtexmf configured as $TEXMLOCAL?
>
> No.  I've never got in touch with TEXMFLOCAL before.  I wonder if MiKTeX
> uses that variable at all.

It uses it, as the output below shows.

>> AUCTeX calls kpsewhich to figure this out. You can check it by
>> executing
>> kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-path "$TEXMFLOCAL"
>> in a Windows prompt.
>
> That call fails even if I set TEXMFLOCAL:
>
> H:\home>set TEXMFLOCAL
> TEXMFLOCAL=d:/localtexmf
>
> H:\home>kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-path "$TEXMFLOCAL"
> C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/Anwendungsdaten/MiKTeX/2.5
>
> H:\home>

It doesn't fail.  On the contrary.  It succeeds and shows you were the
TEXMFLOCAL tree is located.

Your d:/localtexmf is actually a personal (per user) tree.  That means
it shouldn't be part of `TeX-macro-global' but rather of
`TeX-macro-private'.

> As I already wrote all texmf trees known to MiKTeX can be found in the
> output of 'initexmf --report':
>
>> [...]
>> Root0: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\unknown\Anwendungsdaten\MiKTeX\2.5
>> Root1: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\unknown\Lokale
>> Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten\MiKTeX\2.5
>> Root2: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\MiKTeX\2.5
>> Root3: D:\localtexmf
>> Root4: D:\texmf
>> [...]

Apart from reporting all sort of unrelated junk it lists personal
trees as well, which is undesirable for `TeX-macro-global'.

> To summarize: With MiKTeX AUCTeX doesn't see all texmf trees available.
>  After all I've been able to set TEX-macro-global manually.  However, it
> would be nice if AUCTeX were able to recognize local trees automatically.

If MiKTeX provided a clean interface returning global and personal
trees ...

--
Ralf