[AUCTeX-devel] Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:54:56 +0100

On Sat, Dec 30 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * Stefan Monnier (2006-12-29) writes:
>
>>> maintenance of RefTeX will likely be continued by the AUCTeX project.
>>> On the AUCTeX developers list it is currently being discussed how
>>> maintenance of RefTeX will be done in its own CVS repository.
>>
>> How 'bout using the Emacs-CVS as *the* repository of RefTeX?
>
> There will be standalone releases of RefTeX.  That means files for
> building and installing RefTeX as well as files like README, INSTALL,
> etc. would have to be added to Emacs' repository.  Those would mostly
> be superfluous in an Emacs release and would have to be excluded from
> pretest and release tarballs, unless they are considered only a minor
> annoyance.

Maybe we could use admin/reftex/* for such files.  (admin/ is excluded
from the tar ball anyhow, CMIIW.)

> And we'll probably have to jump through some hoops for building
> documentation and putting it into a RefTeX tarball as reftex.texi
> currently is located in the man directory.

When using admin/reftex/*, I don't see that it's much harder than in a
separate repository.

With Richard's okay to a RefTeX-only branch in Emacs CVS, this sounds
like a good solution to me.  The branch would be e.g. "reftex_devel"
and the Emacs trunk would correspond to the current stable RefTeX
branch.  Keeping both in the same CVS repository would also make it
easier to merge bugfixes and administrative changes (update of
copyright notices, etc.) from Emacs trunk to "reftex_devel" much
easier (maybe Miles could do this like he does with the unicode branch
and other branches).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,