Re: [AUCTeX-devel] reftex patch to support resolved labels

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] reftex patch to support resolved labels
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 22:45:07 +0100

* Tim Toolan (2008-12-02) writes:

> Quoting Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>:
>
>> Hm, but there is a similar problem if labels are inserted after a LaTeX
>> run.  The more one is editing labels in the buffer, the more outdated
>> the information in the .aux file becomes.  Are there provisions in your
>> code dealing with this problem?
>>
> If one is only using LaTeX to view the typeset document and not using
> preview-latex, then no matter how outdated the .aux files become, the
> information they contain will always be correct, because resolved
> labels only appear in the typeset document.

D'oh, you're right.  It seems I didn't pay attention when making the
remark above.  For the reply at hand I used a bit more time, so
hopefully I'm not making an idiot out of myself again. (c:

> When using preview-latex, ideally preview-preserve-counters should be
> set to true, but even that is not necessary.  If someone runs
> preview-document, it will generate the full set of correct .aux data,
> but even if they run preview-region, the generated .aux files will
> contain the resolved labels for that section as they appear in the
> preview.  If there are duplicate resolved labels in the document (for
> instance lots of equation 1s), it is okay because we will know that,
> and can make it clear to the user that this is the case.

Do I understand correctly that you are suggesting to let preview-latex
generate .aux files and use the data in those files for the display of
resolved labels?  I just tried that by removing the \nofiles switch from
`preview-LaTeX-command' and the .aux files did not contain any label
information.  So there seem to more changes required to obtain this
output.

Anyway, I'm not sure if we really want to use the inconsistent numbering
produced by `preview-region' runs.  In addition the _region_.aux file is
overwritten with every new run which complicates matters if I am not
mistaken.

Perhaps for a first version of the feature it is sufficient to add a
warning to the manual that the resolved labels as displayed by RefTeX
will only correspond to those of the last regular LaTeX run.

--
Ralf