[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Inverse Search with Evince & DBUS

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Inverse Search with Evince & DBUS
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 16:40:56 +0100

* Tassilo Horn (2011-02-06) writes:

>>> I've just gotten inverse search working with Evince (2.32).
>>
>> Nice!  Are you interested in integrating this into AUCTeX proper?
>
> Sure, if you give me a pointer to where it should be placed, I can
> provide a patch.

It's not really obvious to me where this could be integrated, at least
with respect to the call to `dbus-register-signal' and its parameters.

Ideally the function should only be called if a Dbus-aware viewer is
selected and be fed with the parameters which are specific to that
viewer.  That would mean that these details could be stored in
`TeX-view-program-list{-builtin}'.  Indeed, the original intention of
these variables was to have a sort of database of viewers including all
their capabilities and invocation options.  But I'm not sure how good
the Dbus stuff would fit in there.  (And we'd probably have to reserve a
place for forward search via Dbus, see the discussion at
<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auctex.devel/2490>)

An option which would require less coding effort would be to hardcode
the call and put it into `TeX-source-correlate-mode'.  If the name of
the Dbus signal is not changed in the (near) future and there are not
many other viewers for which this would have to be done, then it might
be a pragmatic solution.

Do you know if listening to Dbus signals is resource intensive or has
any security implications?  If that's the case we might at least have to
provide a way to switch it off.

--
Ralf