Re: [AUCTeX-devel] TeX-add-local-engine

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] TeX-add-local-engine
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 07:30:39 +0000

   > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

   > Hi Uwe,

   > actually, AUCTeX does this job already and asks you if it should
   > remember your choice regarding engine.  Check the function
   > `TeX-check-engine'.  In practice, you should get what you're looking for

The function TeX-check-engine is not interactive and I can't bind it to  key.
   > by adding \usepackage{fontspec} to a file of yours and hitting `C-c
   > C-c'.

Hm, but there are files which require xelatex, but auctex fails to auto
detect it. For example the files found in
https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/197732/76063
like

\documentclass[20pt]{beamer}
\usepackage[utf]{arabxetex}
\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic]{Scheherazade}
\begin{document}
\begin{frame}
  \frametitle{\textarab{الشريحة الأولى}}

  \begin{arab}
    \begin{enumerate}
    \item نص عربي
    \item نص عربي
    \end{enumerate}
  \end{arab}
\end{frame}
\end{document}
should be compiled with xelatex but does not include
\usepackage{fontspec}.

I am not sure I will remember all the time to add that line to my latex
files in question nor do I find that very convenient for other users.
One could amplify the list of package which requires xelatex for
scanning and automatic detection, but what's about making
TeX-check-engine interactive?

Uwe