[AUCTeX] Re: Two more website styles

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Two more website styles
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:56:59 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-03-26) writes:

> Funny.  I use Blackbox myself, mostly because Fluxbox crashed on me if
> its config file was not allowed to mangle the LC_CTYPE setting.

Fluxbox has never appealed to me because I've never had a need for the
additional features it has to offer.  Blackbox (together with bbkeys)
does exactly what I expect from a window manager and most of the stuff
can be controlled with the keyboard; launching programs or moving and
resizing windows.  The only thing I am still yearning for is access to
the root menu with the keyboard.  And the new version of bbkeys has
some problems with resizing windows with fixed-width characters, like
Emacs or xterm.

> I never could stand KDE, and GNOME is now gone because it has turned
> out too resource-intensive for my box as well.  192MB should not
> constantly page and swap.

Maybe this will be getting better with that Gnome memory reduction
project currently going on.  Besides, Enlightenment DR17 looks
promising.  But it still needs work till it is usable.

Uh, we should activate the auctex-devel list soon, then we can babble
about "off-topic" stuff without annoying all the users.

> Well, if we are into marketing speak, I think the following would not
> be too bad:
>
> * AUCTeX: the GNU way of working with TeX
>
> Since we really can't hope to put even the basic details into a tag
> line without being tedious, we might as well go for catchy (say it
> over a few times loudly).

AFAIK the "G" in GNU is "vocal" in order to avoid confusion with "new"
which would make it less appealing.  And it is lacking a bit of
"rhythm".  Did I mention that I hate puns? (c;

Some more suggestions:

* AUCTeX: Sophisticated document preparation
* AUCTeX: The tao of document preparation
* AUCTeX: The document preparation environment
* AUCTeX: Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it (Confucius)

Hm, not really satisfying either.