[AUCTeX] Re: (setq TeX-auto-save t) really necessary?

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: (setq TeX-auto-save t) really necessary?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 17:19:00 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Uwe Siart (2005-05-09) writes:
>
>> My question is whether there is a serious loss in performance without
>> having (setq TeX-auto-save t). To my understanding the only consequence
>> is that AUCTeX doesn't remember its parsing information between sessions
>> but this shouldn't be so bad on nowadays machines.
>
> If you open a slave file, AUCTeX will neither open the master file and
> parse it, nor will it open other slave files because it does not now
> about them.  It relies on such information to be stored in the `auto'
> subdirectory.  By not enabling `TeX-auto-save', you are effectively
> dumping the advantages of parsing in multi-file documents.

I do it the same way as Uwe does it, and if I work on a multi-file
document, I call `C-c C-n' (Save buffer _including_ style
information). I think one has to do that once in each file of the
multi-file document.

,----[ C-h k C-c C-n ]
| C-c C-n runs the command TeX-normal-mode
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `tex'.
| (TeX-normal-mode ARG)
|
| Remove all information about this buffer, and apply the style hooks again.
| Save buffer first including style information.
| With optional argument ARG, also reload the style hooks.
`----

Yes, this is not optimal, but I don't start new multi-file projects
all the time and it is better than having ./auto directories spread
all over my home directory.

--
Christian Schlauer