Re: [AUCTeX] Re: install problems with GNU Emacs/ Fedora core

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: install problems with GNU Emacs/ Fedora core
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:58:01 +0200

Rajneesh Hegde <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:
>
>> > ./configure --preview=my_home_dir --with-emacs
>>
>> More likely --prefix
>
> yep, I used --prefix. The typo above is perhaps because I've been
> itching to try preview-latex :) (I primarily use NT Emacs 21.3, but
> am tempted to switch to XEmacs just for this.)

That would be a step back.  I'd rather recommend to go forward with
<URL:http://www.crasseux.com/emacs> or <URL:http://nqmacs.sf.net>.

>> It should also recommend copying tex-site.el manually to somewhere
>> within your load-path.  This will change with 11.80, where
>> tex-site.el will be copied automatically.
>
> Well, I don't think the instructions in INSTALL mention
> this.

And indeed I was talking nonsense.  Sorry, I confused this with the
startup file for preview-latex.

> Anyway, I manually added the my_lisp_dir/auctex directory to
> load-path and copied tex-site.el to that directory. (All of my lisp
> directories come before the site-wide directories in load-path.)
>
> However, when I use (require 'tex-site) I get the following error on
> TeX-auto-global)
>
> When I check the TeX-file customization group, the only variable
> mentioned there is TeX-macro-global, in spite of the fact that
> tex-site.el has a (defcustom TeX-auto-global ...) form.
>
> Even when I use (require 'tex-site "my_lisp_dir/auctex/tex-site.el")
> to make sure it loads from the right file, I get the same error.
>
> I also erased all previous customization of auctex just in case this
> was a compatibility issue, but that didn't help either.
>
> On the other hand, if I load tex-site.el directly, instead of
> requiring tex-site, then everything works fine. I'm curious to know
> what's going on here.

M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

Maybe you have a tex-site.elc from before lying around?