Re: [AUCTeX] Re: New commands to activate AUCTeX?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: New commands to activate AUCTeX?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 12:16:09 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-21) writes:

> Is the general package layout of MikTeX that?  texmf tree, then
> miktex/bin?  Always?  And miktex/bin all in lowercase letters?  We
> wont use kpsewhich here, but this might provide a way to figure out
> the texmf tree.  And the texmf tree then is called something that ends
> in texmf as last path component?

*sigh* People must be thinking I am searching for messages where we
already sorted this out and posting links to them for the sheer fun of
it.  It's definitely not like this.  It seems I have to compile them
in a summary for somebody to actually look at them.

The options available for expanding variables with MikTeX's kpsewhich
command:

,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auc-tex:2766 ]
| From what I can see in MiKTeX sources, _only_ the following
| _exact_matches_ are expanded:
|
|    --expand-var $TEXFORMATS
|    --expand-var $TEXMFMAIN
|    --expand-path $TEXMFMAIN
|    --expand-var $VARTEXMF
|    --expand-path $TEXMFLOCAL
|    --expand-path $TEXMFFONTS
|
| And the three last give identical output.
| /JÅ
`----

Example output, e.g. if you want to find the top of the system or
local texmf trees:

,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auc-tex:2777 ]
| Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > * Ralf Angeli (2004-05-14) writes:

| >>> |

| >> $SYSTEXMF, $HOMETEXMF and $TEXMF would be interesting too.
| >
| > Oh, and could you please do all of the above with `--expand-braces'
| > instead of `--expand-path' as well?  For example the call for
| > $TEXMFLOCAL would be
| >
| >   kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-braces \$TEXMFLOCAL
| >
| > I am asking for this because the output of `--expand-path' doesn't
| > seem to expand braces which may be present in those variables.
|
| ,----[ --expand-var ]
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-var \$TEXMFMAIN
| | e:/miktex/texmf
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-var \$TEXMFLOCAL
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-var \$SYSTEXMF
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-var \$HOMETEXMF
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-var \$TEXMF
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $
| `----
|
| ,----[ --expand-path ]
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-path \$TEXMFMAIN
| | e:/miktex/texmf
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-path \$TEXMFLOCAL
| | e:/miktex/localtexmf
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-path \$SYSTEXMF
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-path \$HOMETEXMF
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-path \$TEXMF
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $
| `----
|
| ,----[ --expand-braces ]
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $ kpsewhich --progname latex --expand-braces \$TEXMFMAIN
| | e:\miktex\texmf\miktex\bin\kpsewhich.exe: unrecognized option
`--expand-braces'
| | Usage: kpsewhich [OPTION...] [FILENAME]
| |
| | This program tries to locate a TeXMF related file.
| |
| | -alias=APP                Pretend to be APP.
| | -help                     Print this help screen and exit.
| | -file-type=FILETYPE       Use the search path for FILETYPE.
| | -must-exist               Make sure the file exists; run the package
| |                           installer if necessary.
| | -show-path=FILETYPE       Show the search path for FILETYPE.
| | -start                    Start associated program if file was found.
| | -version                  Print the version number and exit.
| |
| | address@hidden /cygdrive/c/temp
| | $
| `----
`----

If you want to do some parsing with output similar to `kpsepath -n
latex tex':

,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auc-tex:2693 ]

`----