[AUCTeX] Re: footnote highlighting

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: footnote highlighting
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:09:33 +0100

> * Jim Ottaway (2005-05-31) writes:
>> It seems odd to me that \footnote and \footnotetext are classed as
>> reference keywords in font-latex-built-in-keyword-classes, and that,
>> therefore, all useful highlighting of the footnote text is lost.
>>
>> I have removed these for my own use; is there a reason why they are
>> highlighted the way that they are?

> Because their content is not typeset at the place of their occurence
> in the body text.  The highlighting makes it easier to skip them when
> reading the LaTeX source.

I see, thank you.

The trouble with that is that it does seem, to me at least, useful to
have the `normal' textual highlighting for footnotes. Perhaps it is a
sign that my footnotes are too long.

Would it be possible to have a footnote class in
font-latex-built-in-keyword-classes that does the same as the
reference class by default?  Then one could modify footnote
highlighting independently of reference commands? [I can see the merit
of /some/ highlighting of the footnote such as the background colour].

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway