Re: [AUCTeX] Re: 'macros.texi' missing in snapshots?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: 'macros.texi' missing in snapshots?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:03:04 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Uwe Siart (2005-06-07) writes:
>
>> Does this mean that Win32 installation instructions will have to
>> include hints for how to use the correct texi2dvi script?
>
> I'd rather move the stuff from preview/doc/ to doc/ and blast
> preview/doc/.

A volunteer, a volunteer!

> Maybe we can manage to integrate both manuals without too much
> effort.

Problem is that
./configure --disable-preview
still needs to create and install an AUCTeX without preview-latex:
Emacs-21 on Windows, Carbon and other platforms remains an
installation target, and for a while to come.

While a common AUCTeX/preview-latex README would make sense, the
respective sections would have to appear separately in the
preview-latex and the AUCTeX Texinfo manuals.  It might be an idea,
however, to redundantly place the preview-latex introduction into the
AUCTeX manual as a teaser, but then one would need to make sure that
all cross references go to the full manual.

> This would also save us the hassle with identically named text files
> as well as the XEmacs package system (if this is a problem at all).

Quite so.