Re: [AUCTeX] Indenting behavior

From: David Arnold
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Indenting behavior
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 15:56:37 -0700

David,

Again, thanks.

I hope the indentation shows in this post. I was hoping for:

\begin{exercise}*Consider the functions
   $$f(x)=x^2-2x-3\qquad\text{and}\qquad g(x)=3x-4$$
   and answer each of the questions that follow.

   \begin{parts}[2]
     \item $f(-3)$ &
     \item $g(4)$ \\
     \item $f(g(a))$ &
     \item $g(f(a))$\\
   \end{parts}

\end{exercise}

Any thoughts, fixes, addenda?

$$...$$ is not a LaTeX construct, and use

Here are you referring to:

$$f(x)=x^2-2x-3\qquad\text{and}\qquad g(x)=3x-4$$

And are you implying that this could interfere with the indenting scheme of Auctex?

M-x customize-variable RET LaTeX-item-indent RET

if you are not happy about the default indentation of \item.

OK, looked at this and found a -2 there. I imagine that changing this will increase the amount of indentation. But, I'm fine with the current amount of indentation.

Is the default behavior of the auctex indentation machine to indent all commands within a

\begin{something}
\end{something}

to the same column as the \ and all text two spaces to the right of the slash?

David