[AUCTeX] Extremely slow input

From: Christoph Bier
Subject: [AUCTeX] Extremely slow input
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:03:52 +0100

Hi all,

today I observed a significant slow down of character input. I've
never seen this before even with much larger files. I process a file
with 78K and I can type `bier' 38 times before Emacs displays it;
not exactly---I just stopped typing after 38 times because Emacs
didn't display what I was typing. I tried with other files and the
problem does not occur.

I don't know what to look for. I found [1] but there was no
solution. I searched the file for environments as described in that
thread (\end {<env>} <-> \end{<end>}) but there's none.

Then I copied the file to another directory, opened it with Emacs,
compiled it again and again and input isn't slowed down! I can do
what I want with this "new" file input shows immediately with
typing. Strange, isn't it?!

Any ideas what might cause this problem?

AUCTeX 11.81
Emacs 21.4.1
Maybe of interest: I don't use preview-latex.

Regards,
     Christoph

[1] <address@hidden> resp.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auctex.general/350/match=speed