Re: [AUCTeX] Re: preview background

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: preview background
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:15:37 +0100

Patrick Drechsler <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernhard Kleine wrote on 13 Jan 2006 06:21:30 MET:
>
> [...]
>> this is the first time I see a screenshot in a newsgroup
>> message. My newsreader (PAN) displays it perfectly. I'm very
>> much impressed.
>>
>> Could you please provide details how you produced this message.
>
> David has already mentioned the preview-latex interface variant.
>
> JFTR: The way I produced the image was taking a screenshot with
> GIMP and then including the file via C-c RET f (=Gnus keyboard
> shortcut). As long as the newsgroup/mailing-list allows it, most
> MUAs are capable of producing and displaying this. The reason you
> probably haven't seen this feature used a lot is that messages
> are increased in size considerably by doing so. Especially ML/NG
> participants downloading via modem do not fancy this feature...

If you do your screenshot with GIMP, convert to an indexed palette
with 16 colors without dithering, then save as PNG, the file size of
screen shots is very decent, and the quality quite up to par for most
non-photographic desktop elements.

One has to warn also that lot of newsservers silently drop all
messages containing such images in "non-binary" Usenet groups.