Re: [AUCTeX] "Autoloading failed ..." with emacs 22

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] "Autoloading failed ..." with emacs 22
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:38:00 +0100

* Kazuhiko Uebayashi (2006-01-21) writes:

> 2006/1/21, Ralf Angeli :
>
>> Can you produce a backtrace by typing `M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET'
>> before doing `C-c ;' and send the backtrace to the mailing list?
>
> *Backtrace* buffer says
>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: \
>   error "Autoloading failed to define function
> TeX-comment-or-uncomment-region")
> .

I was hoping that the backtrace would be a bit more informative. )c:

Okay, I am running out of wits.  One last thing you could try is to
start Emacs with `emacs -Q', manually add the path to your AUCTeX
installation to `load-path', execute
(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
and check if the error still occurs.  Preferably this should be done
with an AUCTeX installation compiled with emacs-snapshot.

Unfortunately I don't have emacs-snapshot available for testing and I
cannot reproduce your problem with a vanilla CVS Emacs I freshly
checked out and built.

As a workaround you could use `M-;' instead of `C-c ;' which should be
mostly equivalent in behavior.