Re: [AUCTeX] preview-latex on Fedora Core 4

From: Alejandro Jakubi
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview-latex on Fedora Core 4
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:46:54 -0300 (ART)

A few examples of "features" that I do not like very much of Emacs:

1. Limited hotkey combinations. As most default mappings that I have seen have the form Ctrl-<key>, it seems that not very much else is available.
This would be the reason why eg AUCTeX binds some commands to four
Ctrl-<key>'s. And four Ctrl-<key>'s for operations that I would
do frequently is not pleasant.

2. Bad font display. I have tried some monotype fonts, but I have not yet found something good enough. Eg currently I am using this setting:

Emacs.Font: -b&h-luxi mono-medium-r-normal--14-0-0-0-m-0-adobe-standard

in my .Xresources. This is (apparently) the same font that I have (by default) in my consoles and editors, but characters display much worse and with smaller interline separation.

3. Configuration design. I find strange the logic behind the design of Options > Customize Emacs, too far away from what is usual in most other applications. Besides there are too many things to look at. This makes configuration rather difficult. Eg I could not found any option to set the font yet. This is quite easy in any other editor that I know.

Nevertheless I will try the version for Windows from the AUCTeX site (when I get it from the server where I have downloaded it as it is too large for dialup). Time ago, I have found Emacs too unstable under Win9x (and disrupting the OS quite frequently, this means much more frequently than usual). I hope that under XP it goes better.

I have tried LyX 1.3.6 (under Fedora 4) with the instant preview option set. The result is not so bad. Eg it displays fine some simple newcommands and the labels of package showkeys. But the initial conversion from WYSIWYM to WYSIWYG occurs in a rather incontrolable fashion, some time after the equation becomes displayed in the window. I have not found yet any explantion on the operation of this mode in the LyX documentation.

But LyX is not a good option for me. One of the reasons being that it cannot handle properly more complex macros and packages that I use frequently. That is, an editor with preview mode is much better.

It has been done.  However, the editor needs a graphics-capable

You can, obviously, implement stuff in other editors as well.  And
preview.sty has been employed in quite a few other settings, in
particular in connection with dvipng.  But the maturity of

I know very little of programming to do that. Indeed, I would like to give a try to these other editors if you do not mind sending some pointers.

Regards, Alejandro Jakubi