[AUCTeX] Re: Items in itemize-like environments

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Items in itemize-like environments
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:35:44 +0200

* Nikos Apostolakis (2006-04-19) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * Nikos Apostolakis (2006-04-11) writes:
>>
>>> I am using the exam document class.  In that class there are two new
>>> itemize-like environments defined, namely "questions" whith each item
>>> called "question" and "parts" with each item called "part".  I would
>>> like to use the command "LaTeX-insert-item" to insert items for
>>> these environments.
>>
>> (add-to-list 'LaTeX-item-list
>>           '("questions" . (lambda () (insert "\\question"))))
>>

> How should I change this so that when I hit "M-RET" inside a
> "questions" environment, Emacs inserts "\question" and asks me "how
> many points is this question worth?".  The answer should then become
> a label, eg if the answer is "100" then "\question[100]" is
> inserted.

You could use something like

(add-to-list 'LaTeX-item-list
             '("questions" .
               (lambda ()
                 (let ((value (read-from-minibuffer
                               "How many points is this question worth? ")))
                   (insert (concat "\\question" (unless (string= value "")
                                                  (format "[%s]" value))))))))

> Ideally the previous answer should be the default,

You could do this with a global variable you set to the value used
last.  For an example you can look at the function `LateX-environment'
in latex.el.

> similarly, to what happens when the environment "proof" is inserted
> for example.

For this environment the last value is not being saved in my case.

> A pointer to the documentation or the source code (eg in the
> definitions for the environment "proof") would be great.

style/amsthm.el