[AUCTeX] installation of emacs+auctex did not work

From: Brian Bucher
Subject: [AUCTeX] installation of emacs+auctex did not work
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:49:27 +0000 (UTC)

I am (after many tries with other methods) using the method found in the
RELEASE-2006-03-09.txt file found from
http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-windows.html

I installed MikTex, ghostscript, ghostview and have unpacked the
emacs+auctex-w32-2006-03-09.zip file and placed the Emacs directory in my
C:\Program Files\ directory.  I run the file runemacs.exe as specified in the
above REALEASE file.

"In this distribution AUCTeX and its preview-latex subsystem are
already activated, i.e. it will be loaded and used automatically once
you open a LaTeX file or any other file type supported by AUCTeX.
Therefore you don't have to cater for this yourself, can skip the
respective parts of the manual, and look for configuration options.
You will probably want to activate parsing as described on the first
page of AUCTeX's manual."

I open up a very short test001.tex file, and emacs loads the files that bring up
the Preview and LaTeX menus along with the TeX button.

I run latex via C-c C-c
LaTeX: successfully formatted (1) page.

I run Preview -> for Document  and get this:

--------------------------------
Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `test001' with ``latex "&prv_test001" test001.tex''
This is e-TeX, Version 3.141592-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.4)
entering extended mode
(test001.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, ge
rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
CUSTOMISED FORMAT. Preloaded files:
        .
 test001.tex
 article.cls    2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
  size10.clo    2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX file (size option)
        .
(test001.aux) (C:\localtexmf\tex\latex\preview\preview.sty
(C:\localtexmf\tex\latex\preview\prtightpage.def)
(C:\localtexmf\tex\latex\preview\prauctex.def
No auxiliary output files.

(C:\localtexmf\tex\latex\preview\prauctex.cfg))
(C:\localtexmf\tex\latex\preview\prfootnotes.def)
Preview: Fontsize 10pt
) )
No pages of output.
Transcript written on test001.log.

Preview-LaTeX finished with nothing to show at Sat Apr 22 09:46:21
LaTeX: LaTeX found no preview images

I've had enough of trying to muddle my way through with each hour giving only a
small step forward, so I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you,
Brian