[AUCTeX] TeX-insert-dollar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX] TeX-insert-dollar
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:40:23 +0200

Hi,

I want to get some feedback on TeX-insert-dollar which will complete
$ to $$ when in a $$-instantiated display math environment.  Now $$
is not valid LaTeX anyway, but it is plain TeX, and some people might
have an opinion on that.

I think we should dumb it down to just make matching to the last \$\$?
(it would be conceivable to make the dollar matching in red if it does
not yet match), but not complete.

The reasoning is that $$ is pretty much equally easy to type as $, and
will be done by people reflexively.

I think it likely much more people are annoyed by $$ completion than
if it would not happen.

So what's people's opinion on $$ completion?  It currently works like
this in plain TeX (and also in LaTeX):

$$  \sin(x) $$
^type $$    ^type $

My idea would be to do at most some drastic syntax highlighting of
presumably mismatching pairs, but not balk at inserting them: just
accept what the user types and express any displeasure in the
highlighting (at most) but nowhere else.

Opinions?