Re: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX-insert-dollar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX-insert-dollar
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 00:28:09 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-07-01) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> You mean that the feature of inserting two dollar signs upon typing
>>> `$' be removed from LaTeX mode (but not from plain TeX mode)?
>>
>> No, I mean that it should be removed from both plain TeX and LaTeX
>> modes.
>
> If $$..$$ is valid TeX, why remove support for inserting it
> conveniently in plain TeX mode?

Because it is not convenient to type

$$..$$ <backspace> just to get $$..$$.  You _start_ the display math
with $$, and you are going to end it in that way, and there is not
enough time between $ and $ to realize that AUCTeX fudges the closing
$ by itself.

And just typing $$ is _very_ fast since the key is just repeated.

In short: I can't believe that anybody finds the current behavior
actually helpful, and I can't remember anything but complaints about
it.

I am ready to be convinced otherwise.