Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX preview fails, preview.sty not found

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX preview fails, preview.sty not found
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:18:30 +0200

"David A. Ventimiglia" <address@hidden> writes:

> I just installed AUCTeX-11.83 into my Linux account (Fedora 4 on a
> 32bit Dell), and am using it with Emacs 22.0.50.1, using these
> commands
>
> cd $HOME/download/auctex-11.83
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local --with-texmf-dir=$HOME/local
> make
> make install

TeX systems will usually look for personal style files under
$HOME/texmf instead, so you might want to try that.

Of course, using the AUCTeX RPM would be the easiest way, but you make
it sound like you don't have the permissions to do that?

> After putting the proper commands into my .emacs file and restaring
> Emacs, I opened $HOME/download/auctex-11.83/circ.tex and tried to
> render it within Emacs using the Command-->LaTeX command from the
> menu.  This seemed to work ok, and when I chose to Quick View the
> document, it opened in xdvi just fine.  Then I tried the
> Preview-->for Document command from the menu, it failed.  The log
> file said it couldn't find preview.sty, which had been copied into
> $HOME/local/tex/latex/preview.  As a temp fix, I copied this file
> into the same directory as circ.tex, then tried it again.  No, I
> don't see any error in the circ.log file, but the preview doesn't
> appear, and the rendered circ.dvi file is incomplete.  What have I
> done wrong?  Thanks!

The preview-latex FAQ explains this in

(info "(preview-latex) Installation trouble")
                                             ^press C-x C-e here

under the item

    An incomplete manual installation

Please don't do "temp fixes".  Specify a proper texmf directory
hierarchy which is searched by TeX upon installation, and you should
be fine.