Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with preview-latex and ghostscript in suse 10

From: MrJ Man
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with preview-latex and ghostscript in suse 10
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:04:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 14:53, you wrote:
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> > MrJ Man <address@hidden> writes:
> >> Running preview-latex on circ.tex is successfull,
so I
> >> attach both the .tex and the custom .sty source
files
> >> (they are in iso995-7 encoding, i.e. greek). In a
> >> quick check I made, all latex files work
flawlessly,
> >> while Omega files throw the error, even though
dvips
> >> supports Omega and ignores Omega specials (I may
need
> >> to remind you that I can produce the .png files
> >> manually, though without the background colour).
The
> >> error changes place occasionally; most frequently
it
> >> errs on the first align block.
> >
> > It looks to me like a bug in the Omega fonts
messing up the
> > PostScript stack.  That is something that
preview-latex does not
> > like.
>
> It is _definitely_ a bug in the Omega fonts.  I
recommend that you do
> the following: use
> M-x set-variable RET preview-fast-conversion RET nil
RET
> This will make all graphics be created in their own,
single EPS file.
> Then run C-c C-p C-d as this will make only those
graphics fail that
> contain the font(s) in question.  It will be the
conveniently the case
> that all other EPS files will get deleted from the
temporary
> directory.  Try tracking down the fonts in question
as good as
> possible, then send a bug report to the author of
the fonts.

> The next release of preview-latex will ignore such
errors.  This is
> actually not a good thing to do, but AUCTeX central
is not the right
> institution to do the debugging and take the blame
for other people's
> bad PostScript code.
>
> You will be glad to hear that your example works
perfectly at my site
> now (I actually had to do another fix for the
parsing of error
> messages).

It took a while to respond as internet access was
unavailable for about a week. Before that I tried all
the suggestions you give and even learned some
postscript in order to pinpoint the cause of the
problem. While the problem may be with the fonts as
you describe, there are some facts that make me think
otherwise. I turned the call from preview-do (whose
function I do not understand) into an exec call, and
now about half the equations appear normally while the
gs process is hung in the background and all temporary
files have been deleted! (The other half of the
equations is stuck with the working man icon). I doubt
that the problem is with the fonts, as I can input all
the postscript commands individually into the
ghostscript command prompt and the showpage output is
the correct one (i.e."{DELAYSAFER{.setsafe}if}stopped
pop/.preview-BP currentpagedevice/BeginPage get dup
null eq {pop{pop}bind}if
def<</BeginPage{currentpagedevice/PageSize get dup 0
get 1 ne exch 1 get 1 ne or{.preview-BP gsave 0.184314
0.309804 0.309804 setrgbcolor clippath fill 0.333333
0.419608 0.184314 setrgbcolor false setstrokeadjust 3
setlinewidth clippath strokepath matrix setmatrix true
{2 index{newpath}if round exch round exch moveto pop
false}{round exch round exch
lineto}{curveto}{closepath}pathforall pop fill
grestore 0.960784 0.870588 0.701961
setrgbcolor}{pop}ifelse}bind/PageSize[1
1]>>setpagedevice
(_region_.prv/tmp3087Cmw/preview.005)(r)file cvx exec"
shows the correct output correctly coloured). However,
one more thing that may support your opinion is that
dvips has problems with Fontographer created fonts
(http://www.radicaleye.com/dvips.html), which is the
case here.
Note: All the above were done in "slow" mode
(preview-fast-conversion is set to nil), "fast" mode
fails completely.

What do you think?

Regards