Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Install problem on WinXP/EmacsW32

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Install problem on WinXP/EmacsW32
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:56:21 +0100

Philipp Reichmuth <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup schrieb:
>>> Wrote c:/down/tex/auctex-cvs/auctex/latex.elc
>>>
>>> In toplevel form:
>>> tex-info.el:29:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: >>>>>>>
>>
>> That is a CVS merge conflict.  You likely changed something in the
>> file and did an unsuccessful merge.
>
> Nope, it's a fresh CVS checkout.  I get the same error message if I
> use the 11.83 release zip, so I think this can be ruled out.

It is the empty line between (require 'tex) and (require 'texinfo).
This does not even make sense.  Either you have something strange in
your Emacs load-path making you find weird files, or you have a merge
conflict in Emacs' own texinfo.el, or you have a merge conflict in one
of the byte compiler related files from your Emacs.

> I just renamed the directories in question to lowercase throughout,
> removed and updated the offending file from CVS and invoked configure
> again with consistent upper/lowercase. The message about the different
> spellings is gone, but I still get the error on tex-info.el.  The file
> does not contain ">>>>>>>" at all; in fact 'grep -R ">>>" *' in the
> distribution directory only returns a couple of XPM files.

Try searching through everything in load-path for ">>>>>>>".