Re: [AUCTeX] How to fix GS problem

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] How to fix GS problem
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 07:42:13 +0100

"Long Chen" <address@hidden> writes:

> When I try to use preview-latex, it complains
>
> DviPS sentinel: Searching for program: no such file or directory, GSWIN32C.EXE
>
> I did install ghost script (gs854w32). My system is Windows Vista. Is this
> something related to the system?

>From INSTALL.windows:

     If the configuration script failed to find all required programs,
     make sure that these programs are in your system path and add
     directories containing the programs to the `PATH' environment
     variable if necessary.  Here is how to do that in W2000/XP:

       1. On the desktop, right click "My Computer" and select
          properties.

       2. Click on "Advanced" in the "System Properties" window.

       3. Select "Environment Variables".

       4. Select "path" in "System Variables" and click "edit".  Move
          to the front in the line (this might require scrolling) and
          add the missing path including drive letter, ended with a
          semicolon.

[...]

     Some executables might not be found in your path.  That is not a
     good idea, but you can get around by specifying environment
     variables to `configure':
          GS="DRIVE:/PATH/TO/GSWIN32C.EXE" ./configure ...
     should work for this purpose.  `gswin32c.exe' is the usual name for
     the required _command line_ executable under Windows; in contrast,
     `gswin32.exe' is likely to fail.

     As an alternative to specifying variables for the `configure' call
     you can add directories containing the required executables to the
     `PATH' variable of your Windows system.  This is especially a good
     idea if Emacs has trouble finding the respective programs later
     during normal operation.