Re: [Baburaj A. Puthenveettil] Re: [AUCTeX] reftex installation

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [Baburaj A. Puthenveettil] Re: [AUCTeX] reftex installation
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 22:22:26 +0100

* David Kastrup (2007-03-02) writes:

> As this does not seem to be intended as private communication to me, I
> forward it to the list.
>
> From: "Baburaj A. Puthenveettil" <address@hidden>
>
> This is what Carsten said to me when I enquired. As I understoood, this
> means I have to unzip the reftex somewhere into the load path of windows and
> not into the xemacspackages directory?

No.  It might be possible to extract the archive, compile the files,
and add the resulting directory to `load-path', but I would not
recommend this to a beginner.  It will likely be easier to install the
XEmacs package.

> I used the following file to install Xemacs
> http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/#InnoSetup-Download  Is this what you
> call as SUMO?

No, that one:
<URL:http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/packageGuide.html#The_Sumo_Tarball>

> I couldnt install even AUCTeX using the package manager of XEmacs, I had to
> download it from the AUCTeX site and unzip into the xemacspackages
> directory.
>
> Maybe I am not doing something right about installing through the package
> manager?

Probably.  Perhaps you are behind a firewall and cannot access FTP
servers or the mirror you are trying to use is down.  In any case this
is a problem with the package manager of XEmacs and the people over at
the XEmacs project are more proficient in helping with that than we
are.